Thursday, August 13, 2009

Surgery Comparisons

Ok so there were two major decisions that needed to be made: which surgery do I have, and where do I have it done?

Below are the two most common options - and the only two I consider, although there are a couple of others:


This is also called the Roux-en-Y




This is the Band option

I chose the Roux-en-Y for several different reasons. The main reason is that it is the most successful option. By that I mean, it is most successful in keeping weight off long-term. It is also the most successful in "curing" those co-morbidities, or the obesity-related health conditions like hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, GERD/Acid reflux, etc. Many of these conditions go away while you are in surgery, the day after surgery, or a couple of weeks after surgery.

Also, with the banding, you have a foreign object in your body for life. Foreign objects may be prone to infection, it could also grind into your pouch, twist, turn, flip, and deteriorate. The banding is also not recommended for those who have GERD/Acid Reflux as it can actually make the condition worse.

There are upsides to the band: although it is made to be permanent, it can be reversed, and even "traded in" for the gastric bypass some time in the future if it doesn't work out. It is also adjustable through the port under your skin with saline solution injections.

But for me, Roux-en-Y is the best option. I'm still going to discuss this decision with the internist during my first appointment, but I feel confident about this decision.

The next decision to be made is where to have it. I've made that decision too. I attended two seminars - one at St. Joseph Hospital - Lexington - East & one at Georgetown Community Hospital. And I will talk about that decision tomorrow... In the meantime, you can click the links to see what each medical site offers.

Disclaimer: This blog or any of my words are not meant to be considered professional advice or professional claims of any sort. You should make your own decisions and do your own research before embarking on any medical journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment